About Caregiver Training
For the caregiver program, the cost of the program is
$899 $649 ($65 testing fee and $100 program registration fee included). You may pay at least half down to start, but the remaining balance is due one week before the State Exam.
The total required training hours is 62 hours:12 hours are hands-on training at an assisted living facility, 20 hours are completed by distance learning/homework, and 30 hours must be completed in the classroom which includes live lectures and computer based self-study. You are given 2 weeks minimum and 2 months maximum to complete the entire program. You must show activity at least 1 time a week to be considered as an active student to avoid suspension.
The prerequisite includes a valid form of ID, a copy of your Social Security card, and an Arizona food handler’s card. Students create their own schedules within our hours of operation and within the minimum and maximum time of enrollment. We provide lectures and tutoring sessions for caregivers throughout the week. Please see your E-Learning calendar for scheduled lecture dates and times. The calendar is subject to change. If you are unable to attend a scheduled lecture, you may schedule a one-on-one tutoring session with your instructor.
The Friday before the state exams are mandatory review days to better prepare you for the State Exam. All other days are left for students to work on their assignments on our computers and to take many practice exams in preparation for their state exam.
Topics you will learn:
- Activities of Daily Living
- Care Team
- Legal & Ethical Issues
- Communication & Cultural Differences
- Infection Prevention
- Safety and Body Mechanics
- Medication Administration
- And much, much more!
Caregiver Course Structure
- Admissions: Fill out an online application, take a pre-assessment test, and discuss schedule and payment plan.
- Step One: Orientation into your selected program.
- Step Two: Study and complete the caregiver curriculum.
- Step Three: 12 hours hands-on-training – includes a checklist to be filled out by the facility. If you are not currently working at an assisted living facility, notify an ALTS staff member to find an assisted facility close to where you live to complete this step. Submit a copy of your food handler’s card.
- Step Four: Fill out a student survey about your thoughts on the program along with taking practice exams before you are scheduled to take the state exam.
- Step Five: Take state exam and pass!
Caregiver Requirements for Employment
To get a job as a caregiver, you must have the following:
- A current and valid Arizona caregiver certificate.
- Fingerprint clearance card (offered at ALTS).
- Be CPR and first aid certified (offered at ALTS).
- An updated TB test (ask your PCP).
- An Arizona food handler’s card.